Last year, Child and Family Services received more than 17,000 new reports of child abuse or neglect. We look into child abuse reports on behalf of Maine communities, working to keep children safe and to guide families in creating safe homes for children.

About 85 percent of the families we see need voluntary, community-based services to develop a safe and more stable home. The remaining 15 percent require court intervention, either to order specific action to make a situation safe or because the children cannot live where they are without danger of serious harm. When those circumstances arise, our child protective and children’s services professionals find a setting for care – places that help a child who has experienced abuse or neglect and that become the child’s bridge to a safe, permanent home.


Category:Abuse and Assault